Sara Hyland 2016 Teen Awards
Actress Sarah Hyland looked stunning at the 2016 Teen Choice Awards on July 31, 2016, at The Forum in Inglewood, CA. Sarah’s makeup artist Allan Avendaño shares the scoop on how to recreate her red carpet look!
INSPIRATION: “I’m often asked what my inspiration is for looks I create on Sarah but for these awards Sarah was the inspiration. After working with her for 6 years, it’s so easy to know what she would be into! She’s so fun to create with. She has a chic sense of fashion but definitely won’t stick with one look when it comes to makeup. Life’s too short not to have fun,” says Allan. “We both looked at the blue and red dress she chose for the Teen Choice Awards and we wanted to bring that blue color to her eyes. We based the whole makeup look on perfect skin and how we could make that blue hue the star without competing with the dress. We played around and realized that glowing skin with a subtle blue liner – that is unexpectedly placed on the outer half of the bottom lash line – would be a fun twist to the usual colored liner look.”
GET THE LOOK – Here is Allan’s step-by-step breakdown:
First Step – Skin Prep:
- Since skin is always an important part of every look, I like to make sure the skin is given its proper prep and care. I used the Bioré Self Heating One Minute Mask with Natural Charcoal on Sarah before anything else.
- I wet her skin, massaged the product onto her face and let it sit for one minute. I then rinsed it off creating a clean, tingly, smooth and refreshed complexion.
- The natural charcoal [in the mask] is activated when it comes in contact with water and heats up in an instant, drawing out impurities and deep down dirt and oil from the pores leaving a brighter complexion.
- I followed up with a light moisturizer for the perfect makeup application canvas.
Next – Eyes:
- While letting the skin settle, I began to work with the eyes. I first primed her eyes with Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Color in Rosegold.
- I then added some depth to her eyes with the Dior Eyeshadow Palette in Amber Nuit using the darkest Bronze shade in the crease.
- To create the bottom winged liner, I used Estee Edit’s Metallishadow Cream + Powder in Wild Cosmos. Next, I used a flat liner brush to apply the cream from the center of the bottom lash line going toward the outer corners of her eyes, gradually getting thicker as I brought the wing outward. I used the same liner brush to apply the metallic blue powder to give it a pop.
- I followed with two coats of Diorshow Iconic Overcurl Mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
- I then applied Ardell Lashes in Demi Wispies to add medium individual lashes to form more fullness.
- For her brows, I used Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Definer Crayon in Soft Brown.
Followed by – Face:
- I started with Hourglass Cosmetics Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation Stick and applied it with a dry firm blush brush to give her sheer coverage.
- I followed with Dior Contour Stick in 002 to give her cheekbones a bit of definition.
- I then applied Charlotte Tilbury Beach Stick in Es Vedra to the apples of her cheeks and buffed it out with a Beauty Blender for a subtle pop of coral.
- To highlight her skin, I used Hourglass Cosmetics Ambient Strobe Lighting Powder in Brilliant on all the high points of her face.
Finish with – Lips:
We lined her lips with Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat Liner in Iconic Nude and then applied MAC Cosmetics Lipstick in Half & Half to complete the look.